Friday 23 August 2013

Montreal, QC to Albany, NY (3 blog posts in one!)

Monday
Day 56 Montreal, QC to Ausable Chasm, NY
Distance 123km
Saddle time 5:10 123km
Avg speed 23.7
Max speed 41.5
Total ascent 451m
Total descent 363m

We had a rough start to the morning, a headwind coupled with some pretty brutal roads made for some slow going to start.  We spent about 3 miles on a gravel road which was difficult and slow riding.  One highlight of the morning was watching Kaitlyn deal with a couple of aggressive unleashed dogs while we were riding. We could see them ahead, playfighting, and thought we might get chased (there were 3 reasonably sized dogs including what looked like a shepherd and 2 other dogs).  Sure enough, as we got closer, they abandoned their play and started chasing us.  Kaitlyn did all the right steps: stopped her bike, dismounted so the bike was between her and the dogs and said in a commanding voice, “No!  Go home!”  The dogs slowed slightly but were overall undeterred.  Then Kaitlyn sprayed them with her water bottle.  They took off for home so quickly!  Excellent work!  On behalf of all road cyclists in the country:  please contain your dogs, both for our sake and for theirs (we didn’t/wouldn’t hurt them, but what is keeping those same dogs from getting hit by a car on the road?).
Our last State sign photo opportunity!

After we crossed the border into New York state, the roads improved quite a lot and the wind seemed less of an issue.  We made much better time and barring a few stops (mmmm….ice cream) we got to camp.  We are a bit away from the lake, which was sort of disappointing, because after riding along it for 20 km, I kind of wanted to go for a swim.  There were some like minded people so we ended up shuttling down to the lake for a glorious swim.  Tomorrow we’ve got some climbing as we head through the Adirondacks!

 Tuesday
Day 57 Ausable Chasm, NY to Whitehall, NY
Distance 132km
Saddle time 6:19
Avg speed 21
Max speed 62.1
Total ascent 1739m
Total descent 1826m

Today had the biggest elevation gain of any day that I have ridden so far on the tour (there was one day in NM where the elevation gain was more, but I was sick that day, and the biggest elevation day was to be in AZ, but the tour was suspended due to heat).  1739m of climbing over the course of the day!  And it was not just little piddly hills, either.  These were big ol’ hills.  Two of the hills in the first 50km were over 15% grade and I lost count of the number of sustained climbs (up to 3-4km) at 10-12%.  It got a bit brutal.  Still, it was a really beautiful day through the Adirondacks and along the shores of Lake Champlain.  What an incredible area.  I had a great time riding with Malori, who is a faster climber, but slower descender than I am, which means we end up together at the tops of hills or the bottoms of valleys!   It was gorgeous and sunny all day, and I spent quite a lot of time on my bike reminiscing about previous climbs: Roger’s pass last summer, Box Canyon, a big climb at the end of a hot day coming into Quartzite, AZ, some mountain passes in Colorado, our big climbing day in Iowa.  I am so grateful to have the physical ability to do a day like today, and although I’m exhausted, overall had a fabulous time!  Looking forward to slightly less climbing tomorrow for my last full day of the tour!!!!
The Adirondacks are nicer to LOOK at then to CYCLE over

 

Wednesday
Day 57 Whitehall, NY to Albany, NY
Distance 125km
Saddle time 5:06
Avg speed 24.2
Max speed 47.2
Total ascent 562m
Total descent 515m
 
Today was bittersweet as it was my last full riding day of the tour.  I was feeling pretty bummed this morning and Katie suggested we start my last full day with a prayer, at which suggestion I burst into tears!  I was just feeling a bit ripped off about having to miss the last few days.  Once we started riding, my mood definitely improved and we had a great meandering day to Albany.  We stopped when we felt like it (breakfast at one restaurant, a nice long break at my mom’s SAG, a chat under the shade of some roadside trees, and ice cream as we got close to camp).  I did get my second flat of the tour today.  I hit a pretty sizable rock on the road, which seemed to knock my stem out of the tire.  It was a pretty immediate flat!  But a quick fix and we were soon on our way again.  It’s looking like (barring any flight difficulties) I will be able to ride on Saturday for at least part of the day, so I’m psyched about that! 

Today, in addition to an actual stone, I also hit a milestone!  Last Sept 1, I set a goal to ride 10,000km before next Sept 1.  I hit 10,000km today!  Woohoo!!!
At 10,000km since Sept 1 of last year!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment